On Wednesday, Russia asked the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to leave the country. First, I’m not a journalist, but I feel that I should disclose that USAID funded a project I worked on.
The short version of this story is: the US says (USAID website) that in Russia USAID funds programs that
improve public health and combat infectious diseases, protect the environment, develop a stronger civil society, and modernize their economy.
The Russian government says (RT story) that USAID is seeking to
influence the political process, including elections at various levels and civil society.
Another few links:
- The Guardian: USAid covertly influencing political processes, says Russia
- Reuters: Russia says U.S. aid mission sought to sway elections.
- Moscow Times: USAID Exit to Hit Small Organizations Hard.
- The Washington Post editorializes that the U.S. should redouble effort to boost Russian democracy.
- aglobalscholar likes this
- auroralex likes this
- sronti reblogged this from fyeaheasterneurope
- tacobed likes this
- grandinquisitor-ofpies reblogged this from fyeaheasterneurope
- tokyograndpa reblogged this from fyeaheasterneurope
- kazuvortex likes this
- everybodysworstcritic likes this
- blazindowntheriver reblogged this from fyeaheasterneurope
- previousempathies reblogged this from fyeaheasterneurope
- broletariat likes this
- niccageinabearcostume reblogged this from fyeaheasterneurope and added:
- fyeaheasterneurope posted this